Baton Rouge, LA
The Eaton Group is recruiting an Associate Attorney that is licensed to practice in Louisiana with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) and that is a Notary Public. An Associate Attorney is preferred to have litigation experience handling contested matters in open court. An Associate Attorney reports to and assists the Attorney Manager, is directly responsible for a large volume of files in various stages of litigation, manages appearance/outside counsel, and supports other firm managers and departments. Although the majority of files handled by an Associate Attorney are in litigation, the main objective is to negotiate an amicable resolution rather than pursue litigation options.
An Associate Attorney is responsible for facilitating the efficient and effective resolution of a large volume of files involving collection efforts that have resulted in litigation, as well as assisting and providing support to other firm managers and departments. The ability to negotiate an amicable resolution while minimizing litigation is crucial. When necessary, litigation is handled primarily through motion practice.
Reports to Attorney Manager in the Hearing Department:
- Handle all aspects of collection efforts for a large volume of files involving contested litigation, including conducting settlement negotiations, drafting and filing court documents (e.g., lawsuits, discovery requests/responses, motions, etc.), appearing at court hearings, acting as lead counsel in matters that require trial, and engaging in post-judgment activities such as garnishment and other enforcement activities.
- Travel as required for court appearances in various jurisdictions.
- Negotiate amicable resolutions to a majority of files.
- Maintain and develop relationships with clients, including responding to client legal inquiries, discussing litigation strategy, obtaining authorizations and approvals, coordinating development of affidavits and other form documents, inform clients of legal actions and trends in Louisiana, prepare status updates and client reports as required, and participation in client conference calls.
- Work all new files within 24 hours of receipt, including any necessary document (i.e., media) requests.
- Communicate with consumers/debtors, including collection and settlement efforts.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and evaluating appearance/outside counsel relationships, including securing substitute or new appearance/outside counsel when necessary and providing continuing education, coaching, guidance and evaluation of appearance/outside counsel.
- Coordinate activities of appearance/outside counsel, including sending calendar items for hearings the following week, obtaining and reviewing status reports from hearings, and planning any further steps necessary.
- Retrieve and respond to Hearing Department phone messages within 24 hours of receipt.
- Provide advice and back up assistance to Litigation Support Specialist, Legal Assistants and Collection Agents in working mail, new files, sections and telephone calls as needed.
- Review, sign and notarize legal pleadings.
- Juris Doctorate from accredited university, active license from the Louisiana State Bar Association, and Certificate of Good Standing from the Supreme Court of Louisiana required.
- Ability to manage a large volume of files efficiently and effectively with high degree of autonomy and independence required.
- Ability to negotiate amicable resolutions and handle litigated matters with minimal oversight required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products required.
- Knowledge and skill in supervisory practices and principles with effective team building and motivational skills required.
- Litigation experience as a lead attorney handling contested matters in open court preferred.
- Experience in consumer credit collections area of the law preferred.
- Knowledge of Collection Master (CLS), Papervision, and other collection industry systems preferred.
- Excellent judgment and strategic thinking, solving complex problems, and developing solutions.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and ability to be a self-starter.
- Affinity for tight reporting deadlines delivering consistently accurate work product.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks and requests concurrently.
- Effective, clear, concise, and professional communication.
- Enjoy being a strong contributor to an enthusiastic leadership team.
- Ability to maintain flexible schedule as workload requires
- Please provide at least 3 references from non-family members
- Include phone number and mailing address for each reference
Include a brief summary of your relationship and previous experience(s) with each reference